Sharks and Knights play out thriller

In a game that had so much to live up to, that indeed it did. Friday night football on a mild Melbourne night produced a game of football not short of drama.

The Sharks and the Knights entered the game equal on points. Both looking for a win, both looking for a solid start to their seasons. Wins at home are a necessity, so things couldn’t have started any better for the Sharks after a  Fraser Chalmers miss-kick caused Knights captain captain Milan Batur to cause a last man challenge on David Stirton inside the penalty box and be giving his marching orders.

Alan Kearney stepped up to take the spot kick, though was brilliantly denied Chalmers who mad up for his mistake. The Knights from here on had to play the remaining 70 minutes of the game with a man down.

Adrian Zahra and Stirton took the ascendancy, with the later testing Chalmers of a couple of times. Zahra’s link up with James Riccobene was pivotal down that left hand side of the pitch.

Just on the stroke of half time things took a turn for the worst for the Sharks with Jacob Colosimo being brought down in the box. Colosimo took the resulting spot kick to send Stjepan Gal the wrong way and give the Knights a 1-0 lead going into the break.

In a tactical switch, Alan Mulcahy made way for Alec Goodwin at the interval. The Sharks pressed for the next half hour with skipper Shaun Kelly having a shot from long range to no avail.

Then in the 75th minute James McGarry was adjudged to have hand-balled in the penalty area. David Stirton stepped up to slot the ball into the top left hand corner and give the Sharks some much needed momentum.

From there on the Sharks continued to press with Erhan Yalaz coming on for Jamie De Abreu in the latter stages of the game, though the Sharks could only muster a point in what may would see as two points lost, rather than a point gained.

Port Melbourne find out on Tuesday evening their FFA cup opponents for the weekend, then are at home to Pascoe Vale on the Easter Thursday night at 8.30

Our U20’s managed to get their first win of the season with a 2-1 victory.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s